posip

Pošip

The true gem of Croatian whites, with citrus and apricot notes

When Mike Grgich returned to Croatia to start a winery in his home country, he chose Plavac Mali and Pošip as his signature varietals. Crisp with apple, citrus and apricot flavors, this white wine is found all over the Dalmatian countryside having become one of Croatia’s most recognized wines.

Roughly 90% of fermentation occurs in temperature controlled stainless steel tanks, after which the wine ages for 6 months in stainless steel tanks. The other 10% is fermented in wooden barrels and remains in barrique barrels where it ages for 6 months.

Intense in aroma, minerality, and flavor, working with this variety is both a pleasure and a great responsibility. The grapes come from our new vineyard Grabica where they are hand-picked and selected manually on the table once they’ve reached the cellar.

Mature in taste and layered with tropical aromas such as pineapple and peach, Pošip has excellent potential for aging. Fresh in the mouth it also contains notes of Mediterranean herbs and vanilla.

 

Features

  • Vineyard – Grabica
  • Hand picked grapes, selection of grapes in the cellar.
  • Cooling of the grapes before pressing, pressing without contact with oxygen. 50% pressed without maceration and 50% after 6 hours of maceration.
  • Controlled fermentation with selected yeast. 90% in stainless steel tanks and 10% fermented in barriqe barrels and wooden vats (sur lie technology).
  • Fining and maturation in steel tanks.  Alcohol level between 13 and 13.5%

Recognition

  • Silver Medal – International Wine Challenge in London (vintage 2012)
  • Gold Medal and Prix Special Croatia – Challenge International du Vin in Bordeaux (vintage 2015)
  • 5/6 points – Daniela Kramaric (vintage 2011)
  • 90 points – The Wine Gang UK (vintage 2011)
  • 91 points – James Suckling ( vintage 2011)
  • TOP 100 of BC – Canada (vintage 2013)